Friday, December 15, 2006

Approaching is Easy

Was just working with a student who was terrified to open. We talked over and over again about how a) You don't know these people. You are here to learn and their reactions during this process don't mean anything about who you are and your value as a person and b)It really doesn't matter what the hell you say to open.

He just couldn't seem to get over it though, so I told him, "Watch. I'm going to open with the stupidest thing I can think of." So I approached two girls and opened with, "Hey guys I have a really important question to ask you... My best friend just died. How long do I have to wait before I sleep with his girlfriend." One girl laughed and the other got really mad... I kept going. Two minutes later they were completely receptive and the set was going great.

The point was, it didn't matter what came out of my mouth. My subcommunications were strong and I didn't really care what their reactions were. Now if you open with something less offensive than this, you won't have to bother recovering if the girl gets mad. The student saw this got his balls together and started opening. Approaching can't hurt you unless you let it effect your ego... Which is entirely up to you.

5 comments:

Matthew Kirton said...

I love it. Yes approaching is actually quite fun and saying something completely stupid makes the experience all the more enjoyable. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Approaching is more than easy. It is fun, it is interesting. Often it's much harder not to approach then to approach.
Last girl I approached, I saw her walking and just went to her and said "you are going so fast, I had hard time caching up with you". It really does not matter what you say as long as subcommunication is good. I admit it is not the best opener:) But who cares, that's what came to my mind then and everything went really good and she wants to meet me.

Btw your opener was quite funny because it was so over the top.

Anonymous said...

i laughed, nice post indeed :D

Anonymous said...

This is a cool opener. I´m going to try it out tonight.

Anonymous said...

too bad that wasn't actually a bad opener. if you had said something like "penis vagina" or "mathematics is the purest form of quantifiable science" then i bet your theory of what you say when you open not mattering goes to the crapper